Saturday 27 January 2018

Undefeated by Stuart Reardon and Jane Harvey-Berrick

REVIEWED BY 
Micky Barnard


UndefeatedUndefeated by Stuart Reardon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’m already a Jane Harvey-Berrick fan but I had a little trepidation going into this book with a debut author as a writing duo, no prejudices, I was just unsure what I’d find. Actually, what I did find was that the experience of Stuart Reardon brought a tangibility and raw-ness to the sports element of this book that made it unique in the world of sports romance. So, I have come out of this unsure where each author started and finished in terms of quality of writing (that was good) but with some inkling of the sports side of things that came from Stuart Reardon. Big congratulations to both authors on this, I’m thrilled to have enjoyed it so much.

UNDEFEATED is a sports romance with a forbidden element, it was a compelling story with a believable slow build of connection between injured rugby player, Nick and sports psychologist, Anna. The character of Nick was written with such depth, his frustration, his emotions, his anger and his injuries, and I truly got lost in the reality of the read. Anna was likeable if a little weak in her intentions to stay away. I hated the demise of both Nick and Anna at different junctures because I had quickly become on their side; I couldn’t look away when things unraveled.

“I will rise...
I will return...
and I will be undefeated.”


Things I loved about this book were the narratives on injury and that Nick wasn’t at the top of his game. So many sports romances are about the top team, top player and this difference was refreshing. I loved to hate some of the side characters.

This was quite an angsty and intense read at times and it takes the reader on something of an emotional roller coaster (a few times). I’m really looking forward to see what this author duo might do with this characters in the next book but don’t worry, this book stands alone as it is for now.

A copy of this book was provided by the authors in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...