Tuesday 16 October 2018

Fight or Flight by Samantha Young

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 


Fight or FlightFight or Flight by Samantha Young
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

FIGHT OR FLIGHT is the kind of book that reels you in with an initial feel of light, fun and hateful banter. However, it is not long before this becomes a pretty intense read and whilst I wasn’t expecting that, I was so into the characters and the story, that I welcomed it. This is a book that builds and builds and I am here for all the story development, for ever. In fact, I didn’t want it to end.

Caleb Scot is a vision to behold but an utter, rude jerk of Glaswegian persuasion and being seated next to him on two flights and a number of queues, tests Ava beyond her capabilities. His arrogance seems unparalleled and his inability to emote drives Ava to distraction. Yet, there’s definitely a bubbling of something underneath.

“Seriously. Some omnipresent being is playing with us. No two people can keep bumping into each other like this without the help of some twisted Fate.”

As the story moves to Boston, the characters pan out to include some meddling work friends, family and most importantly one of the side characters I adored, Harper. There’s a depth to this story telling that makes it possible to tell part of Harper’s story without feeling like a distraction from the main event. These elements are what made it a great book.

As I grew to know Caleb and Ava better, I fell in love with both of them for themselves and I cheered for them together. I wanted more than their arrangement and I wanted them both to see their potential as individuals and as a couple. These two had chemistry in buckets, exploding buckets of gunpowder. As Ava began to see the real Caleb, the revelations were pretty, damn good.

“...that sardonic smirk, his fierceness, his surprising gentleness, his honesty. He didn’t say a lot, but it made you pay attention when he did, and moreover, most everything he said made sense. There was a blunt kindness to Caleb that I appreciated and respected.”

FIGHT OR FLIGHT made me read at 2am to finish, it grew to such an intense package, I needed the end and yet didn’t want it. This book deserves every star it earned along the way and Samantha Young was on fire writing this one. It is a perfect stand alone contemporary romance.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

AMAZON UK
AMAZON US

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...