Friday 22 March 2019

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 



The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Eerie and atmospheric.

THE NEAR WITCH lulled and enticed me in with its engaging small village and big characters. Lexi was the protagonist on the cusp of adulthood but without the freedom. The village of Near was a curiosity, small and tightly-knit. There was a history of strange goings-on in Near for decades or centuries, who knows, but there was some grudging acceptance of witches alongside out-right fear.

When the stranger came to town, this book just started to light up and I was tentatively interested in this person. The story revolves around Lexi, this stranger, disappearing children and a cast of strong secondary characters. It is literally a haunting tale and those that know me are aware I am not one for scary. This book had eerie and suspenseful angst that unsettled me quite a lot but no way could I let go of this tale. I needed to know what happened; I needed completion.

There was a gentle romantic element in this book and it enhanced the tale, giving Lexi a purpose and commitment. I felt the wrap up of this element to be a little weak.

THE NEAR WITCH in physical form is a beautiful and compact hardback with its own ribbon bookmark; I’m literally in love with it. It contains THE ASH-BORN BOY (The Near Witch 0.5) at the end which is a short novella. I imagine the ebook is packaged the same but I’m not sure.

I highly recommend this read and the lyrical narrative. Considering this is my first Schwab book (yes, I know), I’ll be back for more from her.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book, thank you Titan Books.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2FEMVDF4MO7NR/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...