Tuesday 10 May 2016

This Secret We're Keeping by Rebecca Done



REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard


This Secret We're KeepingThis Secret We're Keeping by Rebecca Done
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The blurb and premise for this book really attracted me to it. The idea of a student/teacher situation decades on was an interesting concept. There's a thread of tragedy sliced with a little hope running right through this book but you dread an impending car crash situation.

Jess was the seducer at 15 years old. Matthew was the weak, misguided and prosecuted maths teacher. Decades have passed, names have been changed and secrets are the name of the game. Clearly the context of this book makes for a tense but also a discomforting read. I felt my moral and ethical compass piqued and questioned by the black, white and grey of the issues narrated.

When all was finished I had mixed feelings about the characters. Jess, years later is weak and people seem to walk over her, which was a departure from the Jess in adolescence. Clearly, she was marked by the events of the past. Matthew/Will was flaky, unrestrained in his emotions and willing to hurt those around him. I felt angry towards the older Will repeatedly.

Overall, this book was an interesting read and a unique idea. There were periods where it felt a little slow but I was able to move ahead to more steadily paced sections. This was a solid debut and I would read more from this author.

The publisher provided a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1GG7XRV3H1SX9/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...