Wednesday 7 December 2016

Downed by Jen Frederick

REVIEWED BY Melinda Lazar 


Downed (Gridiron, #3)Downed by Jen Frederick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Downed by Jen Frederick

I think the main reason I requested this book -aside from the fact that I love the series- is because I wanted to see if the completely irredeemable JR Ace Anderson could finally be redeemed. He did himself no favors during his time with the Warriors with his manwhoring, his betrayals, and acting like an absolute prick. While he did have my sympathies at times throughout Jockblocked, I still felt that he brought so much of it onto himself and it was hard to get myself out of that mindset.

Onto Downed. Well, just call me a convert and be done with it! Frederick really impressed me with her portrayal of Ace. Oh, don't get me wrong, he's not fully reformed - we wouldn't want that, anyway - but in this book we actually come to understand him and his actions and choices that have brought him here, to the Renegades. My heart ached for him at times, but I'm so happy with the way his story played out. And I'm ridiculously proud of the man he became. Yes, I know how absurd that sounds, but it's true. After the last two books, he's finally come into his own and manned-up and found his well-deserved HEA.

Ace has come to The Southern U's Renegades as starting QB and is taken under the wing of one Bryant Johnson. Unbeknownst to him, Bryant is the coaches daughter and it seems like history is repeating itself all over again.

I liked Bryant. A lot! Circumstances have led her to believe that she needs to 'fix' people, to help them be the best version of themselves that they can. Working on these 'projects' makes her feel good, that she's changing the world one manwhore at a time but she doesn't account for Ace's determination or for feelings getting involved. As much as I enjoyed Bryant, she did get on my nerves a little, perhaps coming across as fake at times. All in all though, the two made a great couple and balanced each other out quite will.

Normally I'd say this series can be read as complete standalones but I'd strongly suggest reading Jockblocked first in this case. And while you're at it, read Sacked because I really loved that.

*arc received in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Joandisalovebooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3U7EETNCRAHJ5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...