Thursday 14 February 2019

Motion by Penny Reid

REVIEWED BY
Melinda Lazar 

Motion (Laws of Physics, #1; Hypothesis, #2.1)Motion by Penny Reid
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Law of Physics Book 1: Motion by Penny Reid

Why why whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did I pick up this arc fully aware that I’d be left with a goddamn cliffhanger??? And what a doozy of a cliffhanger it is! I even tried to flick the page but sadly, there was nothing there to satisfy my WTFery.

Mona gets The Call from her twin Lisa requiring her step in and pretend to be Lisa while Lisa languishes her days away in jail (and by God, we better get some answers there!). Twin guilt and loyalty kick in and Mona heads back home only to be babysat by their brothers best friend, Abram. While Mona is the serious and studious type, Lisa is something of a wild child so it’s not *just* a matter of pretending to be Lisa, Mona has to think, act, and reinvent herself in order to be believed and she has help in the form of Gabby, her sisters best friend.

I loved these characters and their story. Mona is a clever, quirky heroine and reminded me so much of one the authors other characters but in her own very unique way. She’s someone who I would love to sit and have a coffee (and donut) with and who I would find endlessly fascinating. Abram... first of all, he’s delicious. He’s a musician. He’s dimpled. And he’s ridiculously intriguing because he’s still such a mystery to me! I can’t wait to learn more about him in the next two books where I hope my curiosity will be well satisfied.

I really love that Reid always has a supportive female cast. In this instance it was Gabby who, while she used to be besties with both Lisa and Mona, now only has a relationship with the former. Given the reasons why she no longer has a friendship with Mona, I half expected her to not be as supportive and kind to Mona as she was and was happily surprised (and should have known better) with her caring and thoughtfulness.

I have to be completely honest. I didn’t love Reid’s Elements of Chemistry series for reasons I can’t even remember so I really didn’t anticipate that I’d move beyond ‘it was ok’ for Motion. However, given how I feel about this book, I’m going to go back and re-Reid EoC because maybe I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind when I read it the first time. Reid has given warning after warning that this book will end in a cliffhanger and so, disregarding my dismay at the start of this review, it really was no surprise. Having said that, the book ended in the perfect place and while I most certainly am going to hunt for clues for books two and three, it made perfect sense to stop there.

*I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

*Reviewed by Melinda for Joandisalovebooks Blog

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...