Monday 29 April 2019

Emily Eternal by M.G. Wheaton

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 




Emily EternalEmily Eternal by M.G. Wheaton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an unpredictable sci-fi about a suddenly changing earth in the face of the sun turning red giant and an artificial consciousness, Emily. Emily is the protagonist and she’s spent a few years adjusting to humanity, trying to become as human and empathetic as she can.

Emily grew exponentially from a cog in a wheel, a team player in a university scientific department, to working independently for the good of humanity. Her decisions and actions were sometimes questionable and I never knew what was around the corner. The side characters were enjoyable elements, especially Jason and Nathan.

“I sweep across the world like the break of dawn.”
“In that regard, I suppose I understand the comparison to a god. What I am doing is, in fact, godlike.....except for one detail - shouldn’t a god be benevolent?”


This was a gripping story from the beginning with the occasional moment of craziness where I thought, where is this going? Then, the penny would drop, jigsaw pieces would fall into place and I’d have an ah-ha moment. It was a clever plot, most of which was reasonably easy to follow. There were some out there moments in the last 10% as the story reached its culmination, but overall this was a satisfying read that I would recommend to all sci-fi fans.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book from Hodderscape.

View all my reviews

AMAZON UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...