Wednesday 7 November 2018

Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 



Girls of Paper and FireGirls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Natasha Ngan created a fascinating world in GIRLS OF PAPER AND FIRE, it was complex and yet not difficult to grasp a hold of. It is a world of castes, paper, moon, steel, and demon, with the Demon King at the head. Lei is paper caste, the most lowly of the castes but there is something special about her, her eyes. She is kidnapped and brought to be one of the honoured paper girls that the king gets to choose and bed for a year as he wishes. A grim life for a 17-year-old.

This is a tale of politics, war, oppression, slavery, and fear. Lei embarks in a journey from fearful new paper girl to a young woman who has a streak of fearless bravery, almost foolish at times. The land of the Demon King was colourful and diverse, the descriptions were excellent and my mind supplied all the mental pictures that I needed. The characters were a range of sweet, fiery, plain mean and evil.

The diversity elements of this book were fabulous. I welcomed the relationship between Lei and Wren and yet sometimes I struggled to connect with their coupling because the chemistry lacked a little something. This being a first in the series, I am hoping for more of a build in the relationship between these two. The sisterly relationships of the paper girls were almost like a high school corridor with the resident mean girl, Blue. In addition, I loved to hate the Demon King, he really was vile.

This had both a sense of completion and an “oh heck, what” moment at the end. I am definitely looking forward to catching up with these characters again and finding out what happens in this world.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


AMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...