Thursday 17 January 2019

The Consequence of Falling by Claire Contreras

REVIEWED BY
Monique Cashmere 



The Consequence of FallingThe Consequence of Falling by Claire Contreras
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I am normally a fan of this author's work, and it pains me to say this but I felt this book fizzled out after the first few chapters. The storyline is good and had great promise. It can fall into the opposites attract, enemies to lovers trope and slightly also a second chance romance. We have teenage Presley Rose, the spoilt daughter of a brewery magnate who is only after a little attention from her parents. She is a typical teen that can be quite bratty when her emotions get the better of her. She meets Nathaniel Bradley in a unique way and from that moment on, it is tit for tat with the word ribbing. Even when she thinks she likes him, he pushes her away and then she is back to hating him again. Fast forward a few years, with some encounters along the way, and Presley is working in the family business with her father and Nate. The banter is still very active and now they have to find a way to work together.

I think the thing that made this book fail for me was the to and froing all the time. The mixed signals were giving me whiplash and major eye rolls. I get that she had a lot going on in her life, and needed to sit back and evaluate where to go with it all, but it felt like she was all over the place. I had no problem with her emotions and did not feel she was weak at all. I would have been a mess just the same and I connected and liked her more for it. I get that this is a work of fiction and that normality does not always make for a good story, but added angst and drama is not the answer. And this comes into play with Nate as well, a reaction he has towards Presley seemed out of character and unauthentic. I liked Nate too, he set about improving his life and making something of himself despite his background. He was building a life and now was his chance to pounce per se on Presley. Another aspect I had a dilemma with was at times, even though this is a standalone book, I sensed I was missing out on something. That the gang had an inner circle that I wasn't privy to their jokes or nicknames.

That being said, it is not a bad book, I just didn't love it. It will not stop me from trying again from this author.


*I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.
**Reviewed by Monique for JoandIsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...