Tuesday 29 January 2019

The Voyages of Trueblood Cay by Suanne Laqueur

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 




The Voyages of Trueblood CayThe Voyages of Trueblood Cay by Suanne Laqueur
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

THE VOYAGES OF TRUEBLOOD CAY was a rather overwhelming read in many ways but mostly emotionally and if you’ve read Suanne Laqueur before, you’ll appreciate the phenomena. There’s a definite familiarity that hits once you meet the crop of main characters, it’s not out-right Stef and Jav but Pe and Fen, Raj and Lejos are parts of the Venery journey and you’ll feel a sense of home.

I’ve never felt at ease reading one of Suanne Laqueur’s books because the subject matter always challenges you and I didn’t feel at ease in the Trueblood Cay world. This is a story of family, friendship, there are dark moments and there is a beautiful unfurling of a grudging friendship into everything.

“The khieron is beautiful to me. His face and body and eyes, his story in my heart-these are beautiful things.”

So far, my review could make this sound like a contemporary read, but this is a fantastical conception in a clever but complex world. I had significant difficulty getting to and past the first 20% of the book. It was complicated, with heavy world building and I did not feel connected to any character to anchor me to the story in that first part. I felt confused but I had a buddy I was reading this with and we were able to talk out aspects of my confusion. Once I got past 20%, I connected, I settled, I lived in the story. My rating would probably be divided up as 3 stars for that first struggle and 4.5 stars for the rest.

Once I understood the world that this adventure was placed in, I began to appreciate the view, the creatures, the boats, the land and most of all, the characters. The connections, platonic and more are written most beautifully, in a way that your heart literally aches with warmth or hurt...and when it hurt, it really hurt. I needed that buddy of mine to process the beauty, the horror and the devastation.

This story is a vivid, technicolour tale. If you read it, you’ll remember it, I would probably find it difficult to explain the story to you, but that is not necessary in this review. I am glad I read it, I am glad I got to experience the Venery world through this fantasy lens. I remain a fierce fan of this writer’s talent.

“Here. Take it. You’re free. You always were.”

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...