Tuesday 3 April 2018

Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett



REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 

Starry EyesStarry Eyes by Jenn Bennett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My eyes are literally made of stars right now, dazzled, book-drunk stars. This book epitomises why YA is the sweetest spot to exist as it now joins a little collection of ‘YA-beats-all-other-genres’ books.

STARRY EYES is a real and beautiful tale of a friendship gone wrong somewhere, of families flawed and complex and a second chance at restoring friendship and love. Zorrie is a nerdy, budding astronomer with allergies and an organisation obsession. Lennon, her ex-best friend is a swoony, buff boy-man goth and he is a beta-male who stole my heart after 10 seconds. I am Lennon’s biggest fan club. This guy had the foundation of a beautiful, capable, caring human being. Zorrie and Lennon had pseudo-hate sliced with all the chemistry in the world and I just wanted to read about them forever.

Zorrie and Lennon had unconventional family contexts and one of the strong points about this story for me was that the mess that occurred in the familes wasn’t neatly tied up and restored to utopian perfection. In other words, this was one of the most real depictions of family in YA because whilst they are often flawed in YA, they normally are all okay by the end.

The story was full, rounded, deep, beautiful and captivating. The starry skies are a theme throughout and I loved this. The journey of hiking and camping floated my own recreation boat more than I can say but it was Zorrie and Lennon’s figurative hike through their problems and budding relationship that was the most wonderful thing about this book. Do you hear me swoon?

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so relaxed - sexlaxation, Lennon dubs it, and says he’ll make a fortune marketing it as a cure for allergies and stress.”.

Surprisingly, this is my first Jenn Bennett book, despite meaning to read her others. I’ll get on this now, considering she’s just written one of my favourite YA books ever.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...