Monday 2 April 2018

The Boy and His Ribbon by Pepper Winters



REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 



The Boy and His Ribbon (The Ribbon Duet, #1)The Boy and His Ribbon by Pepper Winters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

I don't know how to categorise the genre of this book because the story is a metamorphosis of character growth in age and maturity. THE BOY AND HIS RIBBON is a story of becoming family, escaping abuse but never really being free. This is a tale told over a number of years, everything in this book has a tangible and realistic timeline.

The two characters in this book are Ren Wild the boy on the run and his little fellow escapee Della Ribbon. These two were enchanting characters to read; beautiful souls. Ren knocked my socks off as a care giver, his love for Della evolved and bloomed as he fathered-her, brothered-her, best-friended-her. He was utterly selfless in carving out life and survival for his Ribbon and himself. The bond between these two was seemingly unbreakable. Della evolved the most in this book, growing from babe to teen and she was a complex, fiercely-loving and possessive girl.

"He treated me as capable and brave and bright, and that's what I became because I never wanted to let him down because he would never let me down. Simple as that."

The story is narrated from a dual POV with an emphasis on Ren's perspective but Della then reflecting back on her experiences. I felt there were two distinct phases in this book, both difficult but certainly the latter years, more complex and challenging. There is a discomfort to the story direction that challenged my allegiances, my personal morality and it's a bit of noodled-mess of thinking right now. However, I could not look away, it was an addictive story, compelling in the best way.

I have thoughts about where I think the next book's story line is going and I'm full of trepidation over it but longing to read it nevertheless. I enjoyed Pepper Winter's writing in this immensely, especially the childhood era of Della and Ren.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...