Tuesday 3 July 2018

Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry


REVIEWED BY 
Monique Cashmere


DisgraceDisgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5*s.

Firstly, a BBC book is very angsty, emotional and gritty. You have to know that going in because even for this angsty lover, her stories can be very prominent and powerful, smacks you right up in your face. And I so wanted to love this book because I am a huge fan of BCC but unfortunately, it fell flat for me.

The story within it self is good. A preacher's daughter is left broken hearted due to her marriage breakdown after numerous miscarriages. She returns to her hometown for the summer to be consoled and comforted by her family but the most appeasement she receives (after a very rocky start) is from the black sheep of the town, the guy from the wrong side of the tracks.

I have a favourite quote from Charlotte Bronte - "Crying does not indicate that you are weak. Since birth, it has always been a sign that you are alive", and I believe this wholeheartedly. But Grace took crying to another level, and other parts of this book were also over the top. The way they met was so dramatic and unrealistic, and their encounter left me rolling my eyes. I kept wondering how Jackson was earning a living at the auto shop while sitting in the sun with Tucker or reading at The Silent Bookshop. Another part was predicable as to who the husband was having an affair with and the extreme gossiping of a small town add with the "royalty" of the preacher's family was aggravating.

At around the half way mark, I was starting to enjoy the complexities of Jackson and Grace. I appreciated how she was someone that didn't know her own self and was taking time to discover that. He too needed to learn this about himself but also that he had to learn to chase his own dream. The last few chapters of the book again went to the excessive. It was all wrapped up a little too fluffy for my preference and this made it seem too perfect. I haven't lost hope, I know that not all books are going to be to my liking. I will certainly give BCC books another go.


*I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.
**Reviewed by Monique for Joandisalovebooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...