Thursday 12 July 2018

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik


REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 


Spinning SilverSpinning Silver by Naomi Novik
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

I am all smug contentment on finishing SPINNING SILVER, the ending was utter completeness. This is a complex fantasy novel, definitely modelled in the background by a dark fairytale that would be familiar to any reader.

The book starts off with a female protagonist Miryem, such a young woman of determination, focus, self-belief and strength. What happens is that slowly, as the tale unfolds, two other female characters Wanda and Irina join the tale to be key storytellers. I absolutely loved the slow revealing of these other lead characters. All three females had experienced difficult childhoods in different ways which I believe led to their tenacious characters.

What is pretty hilarious is that nearly every single male character is a total tool. They are almost too numerous to be named but I have to speak of Mirnatius and the hideousness of his character, even though there is more to it than that. The King of the Staryk needs particular mention because although I should have hated him, I didn’t. He captivated me and drew me in. Frustratingly, despite the physical description, I couldn’t quite paint a picture of him. I loved reading about the Staryk, the kingdom, the people. I just couldn’t hate this King.

SPINNING SILVER was complicated in many ways, sometimes confusing but ultimately enlightening if I just waited to put the pieces together. The description of people, sights, sounds and the environment were seamlessly brought to life. The tale itself was easy to slip into from the first few pages and although I experienced a plodding sensation at two thirds of the way, it picked up again.

Naomi Novik has followed up from UPROOTED and given us a tale to rival and match but with a very different feel and context. I thoroughly enjoyed my reading journey and I can’t wait to discuss this with my friends.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...