Wednesday 9 November 2016

Someone to Love by Mary Balogh


REVIEWED BY Melinda Lazar

Someone to Love (Westcott, #1)Someone to Love by Mary Balogh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Someone to Love by Mary Balogh

I've read many of Mary Balogh's books and just adored them. She is, in fact, one of my go-to authors when I fancy reading a historical romance. When I saw this title on NetGalley, I immediately requested it and couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately, I feel a little let-down on its completion.

Anna Snow is an orphan who was raised at the orphanage she now teaches at. She leaves the orphanage for what is to be a few days and her world as she knows it is turned completely around. She discovers family she'd not known of and meets the Duke of Netherby. Once her true identity is established, she is welcomed into the bosom of her extended family and prepared to face the ton. In these preparations, and on the realization that there will be competitors for her hand, the Duke realizes that he may have fallen for Anna.

I think my main concerns were that I felt no connection or chemistry between the characters. I understand that this is a historical romance and true to its nature, there is no overt displays of affection or desire or love, but I just didn't feel like the romance between Anna and the Duke was organic. In fact, it felt almost contrived.

Unfortunately, this book was a bit of a miss though the premise was a fantastic one. I'll certainly be reading more of Balogh's work in the future and I'm quite looking forward to the next book in this series, given that we've met and have formed an opinion on the characters already!

*arc received from NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R291A3M7N1REQ0/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...