Saturday 27 February 2016

The Silk Merchant's Daughter by Dinah Jefferies


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Silk Merchant's DaughterThe Silk Merchant's Daughter by Dinah Jefferies
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've enjoyed Dinah Jeffries previous books but this one didn't quite hit the mark for me in the same way. The writing felt choppy and abrupt in places and I was left wondering why the previous paragraph jumped to unrelated topics on numerous occasions.

The setting for his book was Vietnam and I absolutely loved the setting for Nicole's story. The description of the city and it's diverse quarters were excellent, providing visuals, smells and culture. Vietnam in post WW2 era was politically unsettled with much Vietnamese unrest at the French leadership. Nicole's family is in the middle of this for a number of reasons, her father's work for the french and on a more personal level, Nicole's mixed race status. Nicole didn't fit in with the French or the Vietnamese. As with Jeffries other books, family relationships were key to the story and I enjoyed the development of her relationship with her sister. There is a romantic theme and an American, Mark shows great interest in Nicole.

So much about this book held promise but in this case, whilst I liked the story line and setting, some issues with the writing just got in the way.

The publisher provided a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...