Tuesday 21 June 2016

The Martian by Andy Weir


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The MartianThe Martian by Andy Weir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 stars

This is not only an excellent book, it is my favourite audiobook of all time, and I've listened to many. The Martian, as straight sci-fi, is really outside of my typical reading genre but it was entertaining and fascinating in every way.

This is a tale of survival in its most rudimentary form, narrating introspection on human nature when in extreme circumstances. Mark Whatney, an engineer and botanist is stranded on Mars alone after his mission is sabotaged by the Mars weather. There is plenty of tension, but that tension is broken up nicely by Whatney's monologue that is witty, sarcastic and realistic. The science was not beyond my understanding because of how it is narrated and I actually really enjoyed the science, problems, strategies and problem-solving. The reader cannot fail to admire and cheer along Whatney's resilience.

Alongside Whatney's situation, the narrative follows the story from his crew's perspective and NASA and other organisations on earth. My favourite secondary character was Venkat Kapoor, his focus, taciturn nature and intelligence was absorbing to read.

Much needs to be said about the narrator RC Bray, his ability to portray mood and accent is unsurpassed. He made me want to listen when I would normally pick up a book instead. Highly recommended to all, step outside of your normal listens/reads and give this a try.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews


http://www.audible.com/listener/A2OKSANI1041IT?ref_=a_library_ml1_bsn_4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...