Thursday 12 January 2017

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard 


HeartlessHeartless by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I had such high hopes for this book, everything about it called to me. A re-take on an aspect of the crazy that is Alice in Wonderland that had a fantasy premise, I wanted to like, even love this book. My mind and heart are smashed into smithereens and I don't even feel that I can express my true feelings in this review or else I will spoil for others. There are no spoilers so please forgive any vague statements.

What I like about this book were the two lead characters Jest and Cath. Cath started as a disillusioned young woman, entitled in the true sense but longing to be ordinary and follow her love of baking. Cath evolved into a spirited but whiney woman but towards the end became unrecognisable and I can't even say there was a journey to the change in her. Cath become a bomb.

Jest was absolutely wonderful in every way. He was mysterious but loyal and he fell in love with Cath. I loved his character, his quirkiness, his tricks, his hat. Many of the side characters were enchanting: Cheshire, Raven and Hatter really stick out.

This book was difficult to read and slow in pace until 60% but I powered on. At 60% it got pretty exciting and the pace picked up. Then a bomb was dropped and my investment in this world and book fell apart. Words cannot express my heartache and I am disillusioned with how the author dealt with the events that occurred. The characters had intangible behaviour towards the end and the lack of story once the events occurred was truly disappointing. I could have coped with the events if they were supported by good writing and depth, they were not. I feel let down as a reader and I can't see myself returning to this author again.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...