Tuesday 31 January 2017

Mists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard 



Mists of the SerengetiMists of the Serengeti by Leylah Attar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

6 stars

THE MISTS OF SERENGETI has taken me on an epically beautiful journey but it has been quite painful at times. This is a book with phases and each phase felt somewhat different, shocking, grieving, hopeful, lulling, suspenseful and tension-bound and heart-warmingly wonderful.

The book starts with a jolt, a painful one but I could not look away, nor put the book down. I had to know, I had to live the experiences and travel with Rodel and Jack. Rodel 'Ro' was a women lacking self-discovery, she liked life to be safe. Her entry to Tanzania was necessary, she needed some closure on events and she found herself woven into her sister's life-path that led her to Jack. Jack needed Ro, he just didn't realise it. Their connection grew and grew in a believable, gradual way. I adored everything about these two, the ups and the downs, the positives and the negatives.

"When I put my hand in his large, rough grip, he held it for a moment, as if allowing me the opportunity to back out. Then he squeezed. It was a silent handshake, an unspoken agreement. And although I had only just met him, I knew I could trust Jack Warden to keep his promise, come what may."

The storyline itself has a clever, real message. The issue in the story was unknown to me, but heartbreaking and I believed in the mission Jack and Ro found themselves embroiled in. The setting of Tanzania conjured beauty and a spark in my traveller's heart. Every smell, sight, animal and piece of nature was enticing in its reality. Jack slowly revealed the country and himself to Ro.

"Jack Warden was an ever-changing enigma. He complimented, apologized, and bared himself, all at once, with a directness and sincerity that left me speechless."

The way Leylah Attar wrote grief was heartfelt but realistic. I could tangibly feel the emotions rising off Jack and Ro (cry count six and I'm not a huge crier at books). However, the writing in general was beautiful. So many sentences jumped out at me with their poignancy. It wasn't flowery prose, but the characters dialogue and thoughts were captured and painted so perfectly true. I am in awe of Attar's writing talent and will need this on my bookshelf with some of her others. This book is going to stay with me, my eyes brim as I write this.

We are all connected.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.


View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...