Tuesday 16 January 2018

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

REVIEWED BY 
Micky Barnard 



Eleanor Oliphant is Completely FineEleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I’m shocked by how little enjoyment this book brought to my brain and heart considering it’s high ratings/review. I was completely underwhelmed by the storyline and by Eleanor herself. This was a tragic and depressing read that didn’t bring any joy or warmth to my reading soul either through chinks of light or quality of writing.

I struggled with this book from the off. The book is narrated solely from Eleanor’s point of view and considering its clear that she has a cognitive problem of initially undetermined origin, in particular with social interaction, her train of thought was jarring and difficult to follow. This didn’t make for good narrative flow and it felt like walking through sludge at times.

There are two elements of the storyline that piqued my interest, Eleanor’s mother and Raymond. They were the only elements that kept me reading and Raymond in particular was everything normal and decent in terms of friendship. The mother element was just something I needed answers on.

The cover is clever, once I realised the connection, I really think it was excellent.

I am clearly in the minority on this book but I am also very happy to stand by my opinion on it. It didn’t capture me in any way and I feel deflated at the end.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...