Monday 29 January 2018

Ryan's Bed by TIJAN


REVIEWED BY 
Micky Barnard 



Ryan's BedRyan's Bed by Tijan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It’s been a while since I’ve crossed paths with a Tijan book and I’m glad to have renewed the relationship. RYAN’S BED was a refreshing read in terms of content (view spoiler) and I would classsify this as mature YA.

The blurb makes it clear what the context of this book will be and I must admit, I expected the story to revolve around the title and the romance. I was surprised and pleased to read that this was more about getting inside the mind of a late teen’s grief. The grief element of not just Mackenzie but also her family, was written very well. The romance between Ryan and Mackenzie was strong, intriguing and believable, born initially out of convenience. All things surprised me about the story direction.

The mean girls and the drama alongside it was my least favourite element of the story but I can see how it led to the character development of Mackenzie. The parents were an unfathomable cluster of neglect and I struggled with their reactions to life afterwards. Robbie was a character I would have liked to have known more about.

Now, I don’t want to say too much but Tijan is a genius on that last page, I got an inkling the page before, but I nearly dropped my lunch and my mouth just stayed hanging open. Kudos, Tijan, kudos.

I love a good mature YA and RYAN’S BED certainly fits that bill, with lovely shades of the unexpected.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...