Wednesday 30 May 2018

Speakeasy by Sarina Bowen


REVIEWED BY 
Melinda Lazar 


Speakeasy (True North, #5)Speakeasy by Sarina Bowen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Speakeasy by Sarina Bowen

I love returning to True North and the Shipley family and I loved Alec and May’s story. While I needed a quick refresher on who Alec was, I was well-acquainted with May and her habits.

After a humiliating breakup, May returns home to the suffocating bosom of her family - having struck up an odd friendship with her rescuer, Alec along the way. May is a recovering alcoholic who is always wishing for that one drink so perhaps striking up a friendship with the owner of the Gin Mill - a pub in town - is a little unorthodox, but they somehow make it work.

Alec is used to working hard and playing harder. He likes a good joke and he’s a fun-loving guy. He’s always thought May was more than a little attractive but never acted on it given that a: he hates her brother and b: her last partner was of the female variety.

This series of Bowen’s always makes me feel all the damn feelings in the whole world! I’m happy and smiling one minute, then the next I have tears and feel like I could toss out some violence. Speakeasy was no different in that regard. I wondered how Bowen would handle May’s bisexuality: would she denounce all feelings towards women? Would she immediately jump into something with Alec? And what about her alcoholism? Would it be prettified for the reader? Silly, naive Mel. Bowen handled all of these issues and questions with her usual aplomb and treated them with the respect they deserve. For that alone, I take my hat off to her.

I loved this book and honestly couldn’t find fault with it. This whole series is a must-read in my opinion. It’s not always pretty, there aren’t always rainbows and sunshine. But these books and the characters are raw and real and I cannot get enough of them.

*arc received in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Joandisalovebooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3OM52NWAHYCG7/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3L7QG0FLKRRKE/ref=pe_1572281_66412651_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...