Monday 11 June 2018

Only Him by Melanie Harlow


REVIEWED BY
Jess


Only Him (One and Only, #2)Only Him by Melanie Harlow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went through a lot of emotions while reading ONLY HIM by Melanie Harlow. Glee, nostalgia, disappointment and even frustration. The beginning and end of this book is solid. But I was lost somewhere in the middle with the story and I just didn’t like where it all went for a time. The reason for the four is because of the ending. The feeling it gave me, the one I wanted to feel for the whole book finally surfaced and I was awarded with the brilliant writing I was anticipating from Harlow the whole read.

Maren and Dallas were given a second chance. Not because either of them had hoped for a possibility at rekindling a romance from back in their teens-but because of something out of anyone’s control. Thinking you’re on your way to make amends and say goodbye was Dallas’s intention when he wound up on Maren’s doorstep...falling back into bed and into love wasn’t on the agenda. But true love never dies and even though the possibility of Dallas not having his life for much longer is on the table, he’s unwilling to share the news with Maren. Bringing them right back to what broke them up in the first place. His lies and his leaving. History was repeating itself.

While this trope has been repeatedly covered, over and over again, Harlow still managed to keep some individuality tied to it. Seconds chance romance can be hard to navigate and the character of Maren was probably the best part of the book for me. She was tough, she soldiered on, spoke her mind and didn’t take any BS from anyone. Especially Dallas. Her relationships with her sisters were genuine and lovely and that made for a better subplot.

I should also mention that Dallas and Finn really warmed my heart with their reconciliation. It took some time and they had to work hard to work through their differences and age gap, but it worked really well from a readers perspective.

Save for the middle of this read, I enjoyed the journey Dallas and Maren went on. It took nearly 2 decade to get to a place where both of them were happy and content with their lives, individually and together. Their dedication and love for each other eventually came to fruition and it was satisfying to read.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

*Reviewed by Jess for JoAndIsaLoveBooks Blog*


View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...