Monday 12 October 2015

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

REVIEWED By Micky Barnard

The Silver Linings PlaybookThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I listened to this book on audio and the narrator really brought this story to life (told in the first person). This is not a romance in my opinion, although relationships past and present are key to the storyline. This was a fascinating introspection of a man with mental illness trying to make sense of life outside of an institution. Pat Peoples (great name) has no idea that years instead of months have past and it confuses him how much life has gone on in his absence. Football is a focus of the story but even though I'm a Brit who knows nothing of American Football and I'm also fairly uninterested in team sports, I was able to engage with Pat's passion for his team. Tiffany is introduced to Pat, as though two mentally unstable people will make one stable one. This was an interesting relationship within the book. Pat's mum was a trooper, his dad a revolting character and the other characters added such richness, especially Cliff the therapist. The book is significantly different to the movie and quite superior in my opinion. I am glad I took a chance on something different and would recommend it.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R20TQDH3QIP9FQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...