Monday 1 October 2018

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 



The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6)The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo by Kerrigan Byrne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

THE DUKE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO delivered on a most satisfying and unpredictable read. The backdrop for this story is criminality and abuse, that sounds super heavy and yet Kerrigan Byrne is able to narrate the story with appropriate seriousness and inject lightness and levity to counterbalance the grim context.

Lorelai is a surprising character, downtrodden, abused and yet forgiving and hopeful. There were some surprises along the way with this character, especially in the earlier part of the story. Equally, The Rook, known from previous stories in the book is so much more than I thought and I really enjoyed early Ash and revelled in the development of later Ash. The tattoos were of epic proportions and worthy of the titling the book.

The abject cruelty committed against these characters led to some emotional stunting so that their development seemed quite impossible.

“You’re supposed to heal me. Or hurt me. To save me. Or condemn me. To remind me that I am human.”

There were moments of fear for Ash’s humanity and I never quite knew where this story was going, only that I enjoyed the unknowing of this ride. Lorelai was a likeable character from the beginning and she grew on me even more as I discovered her strength.

This is probably my second favourite of the series, I want more and really hope that Kerrigan Byrne will continue these most unusual male heroes for a bit of time to come.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

Link to Amazon Review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...