Friday 16 February 2018

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 



The Great AloneThe Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

THE GREAT ALONE was the book I didn't know I wanted to read until I read a few pages and proceeded to devour it over two days. This book had a powerful, captivating story to tell as well as educating me on the struggles and beauty of Alaskan life and community.

Narrated over a few decades, THE GREAT ALONE focuses in the main on the growth from teenager to adulthood of Lenora (Leni) Allbright. She’s a teen whose dad is a broken man post-Vietnam POW experiences, he’s ill and abusive and her mother can’t stop loving him. They move to Alaska without any experience of that kind of environment. Their struggle to survive was absolutely gripping and tangible. The descriptions gave the environment and abuse high-definition quality with sight, sound and smells.

The themes of this book were difficult to read at times, I needed breathers and the occasional tissue. I would say that the love story between Leni and Matthew was subtle and yet powerful. I willed them together despite the risks, I wanted some joy in Leni’s life. I felt Leni’s emotions with regards to her parents so convincingly. The local community in their Alaskan village made for a developed character context, I loved so many of the side characters.

The book overall is so well written, considering the difficulty of conveying the setting and themes. I felt so many emotions reading this book and I am eager to try more by Kristin Hannah. The final wrap up of the storyline was a little fast but I was satisfied in the end result.

A copy of this book was provided by Jellybooks in return for my reading data, this by no means influenced my review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...