Wednesday 7 February 2018

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton

REVIEWED BY
Melinda Lazar 



Next Year in HavanaNext Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton

I hesitated in requesting to review this book and one of the main reasons I did request was because that stunning cover just drew me right in and I had a feeling I might kick myself if I missed on the opportunity. I hesitated because I wasn't sure if it's the kind of book that would normally appeal to me: I like RomComs, the light and fluffy books that, while they do have substance, leave me feeling happy and sporting a smile and ready to move on to the next book. Next Year in Havana is neither light nor fluffy however, it gripped me from the very first page and it will stay with me long after the last page was turned.

Cleeton has written a superb synopsis and I won't insult her by rehashing that for you. I felt that Next Year in Havana was like reading two love stories, Marisol and her recently deceased grandmother, Elisa's. It's written so beautifully, so heartbreakingly, so visceral and raw that it consumed me to the last page and beyond. It entails the love between men and women, siblings, parents, friends. It encompassed love, loss, and betrayal and the beautiful writing had me reduced to tears.

I've never really given any thought to Cuba and how it's arrived at its present state but now I feel compelled to read about the revolution and learn everything I can - Cleeton's writing is just that good: captivating, engaging, gripping. This book is now a top favorite of mine and after that twist and excerpt, I cannot wait for the next. Next Year in Havana can absolutely be read as a standalone. I don't hesitate to recommend this to anyone who'll listen to me.

*arc received from publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

**Reviewed by Melinda for Joandisalovebooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2K892WOYQGZUR/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...