Tuesday 7 March 2017

A War like Ours by Saffron A. Kent


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

A War like OursA War like Ours by Saffron A. Kent
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a dark read cataloging the serendipitous meeting of two characters James and Madison with shared, yet different pain. This book revolves around multiple aspects of pain both physical and metaphysical. A WAR LIKE OURS was a twisty, unusual book that difficult to read at times due to the fragmented characters and relationships.

Madison is in a relationship with Julia; Madison being the dependant and Julia the fixer. Madison is crippled emotionally by past events, existing but in pain. James arrives at the holiday village with his daughter, Katie. If I thought Madison was troubled, I soon reset my viewpoint when I met James. He was another level of troubled, pained and messed-up and Madison found herself utterly drawn to James and his daughter. I did not like either of the MCs, even as the book progressed I couldn't connect with either of them. Their thoughts and actions were desperate and sometimes a little too extreme for me to believe in their story.

I found the writing a little chaotic. I am unsure if this was purposeful considering this personified the MCs, however it made the narrative difficult to follow at times. I think this book will appeal to those fans of dark reads, especially readers that are open minded regarding emotional and physical pain. It was an interesting debut and I would consider reading a less dark read by this author.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/RU30ALR86YIGZ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...