Tuesday 21 March 2017

How To Save a Life by Emma Scott


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard



How to Save a LifeHow to Save a Life by Emma Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This felt to me to be a unique read/listen. The story on the face of it is a NA context, but I can't only say this is unlike any NA I've read. It moves over a number of years into a contemporary genre and there is a hint of paranormal, but it really is just a hint.

HOW TO SAVE A LIFE is about hurt so deep, you cannot see the sky but it is also about healing, about resilience and fight. The two MCs in this book were just so lovable on a character and compassion level. Jo is a young woman on the brink of adulthood who has only known a world of hurt, she's surviving with a plan ahead of just surviving. Jo is a perpetual victim but I understood how she got where she was. Evan is the school 'lunatic', badged as such due to past events. Jo sees past his label into the man that no-one has ever bothered to see or know. Evan made me believe in humanity within the story, a man so hurt but so incredibly kind and caring, ready to fight for life. The story was angsty, it took my breath away but I never lost hope. There were some difficult events in the book where a resolution was hard to envisage. I enjoyed their older years as much as their late high school years.

The narration by Ramona Masters captured the age range in both time periods very well. Her voice for Evan worked well and her general narrative style helped me lose myself in the story.

This was a great book that is quite memorable, if you're fatigued by NA, this is a fresher view of that genre with a unique story.

A copy of this book was provided by the narrator in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



GET ALL THE DETAILS OF THIS BOOK HERE..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...