Tuesday 7 March 2017

Something In the Way by Jessica Hawkins

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard


Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)Something in the Way by Jessica Hawkins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

SOMETHING IN THE WAY was a very complex story offered by Jessica Hawkins and it felt something of a different kind of storyline to others of hers that I've read. There is a forbidden thread to this story, which is Hawkins' hallmark and something I think she is excellent at writing. Whilst this is different and slower in building than some of her other books, I am by no means disappointed.

Lake is 16, a naive, protected young woman on a clear path of academic work to a top college. She has a father driving her journey and she's not allowed to have fun. Add in a wild sister, Tiffany and a 25 year old construction worker on the site next door and you have a weird, forbidden triangular-shaped creation. Manning is an intriguing character, he has seemingly good, brotherly intentions but I have to admit my suspicions were raised. It's important for me to leave my commentary on the storyline there so as not to spoil what happens.

I really enjoyed the coming of age facet to this book. I loved feeling conflicted by what was or wasn't happening between the three characters, I also liked being ethically challenged by forbidden emotions. There was a lot of building of the story needed to tell such a complex tale and this meant a somewhat slow section mid-way, but it soon picked up pace. I can wholeheartedly say that I am fully invested in this series, it will hurt me to wait until May for book two and that I cannot wait to see where this series goes.

A copy of this book was provided by the author in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3R21U5PRAMEIN/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...