Sunday 21 May 2017

Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard 



Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm going to be briefer than normal in this review because my lack of connection with this book and its characters may just have been a case of its-me-not-you. That said, I have read a large amount of fiction set in a historic, Japanese context and this book just didn't reach the measure of what I know is out there. The fantasy was light, sometimes hidden and mysterious.

There was a dual POV narrative to this book, told from twin brother and sister perspectives. I did like the dual POV narrative but unfortunately I stayed in a constant position of disconnect with both Mariko and Kenshin. With regards to Ōkami, he was utterly intruiging but I never got to the bottom of who he was and I was left wanting more. I found the description in this book to be heavy and it further hindered my connection with the characters. The black clan was the best thing about FLAME IN THE MIST for me and I enjoyed camp dynamics and hazing.

I am a fan of this author but I don't think this series is ultimately for me.

A copy of this book was provided by the author through netgalley in return for an honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...