Friday 12 May 2017

Mr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard 



Mr. RochesterMr. Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have very mixed feelings about this book and yet I am glad I've read it. A book like this is always going to come with some trepidation as JANE EYRE is my favourite book and a re-take on that concept definitely carries a risk. What appealed to me about the concept of MR ROCHESTER was the idea of his point of view but from childhood to what we know. I definitely felt frustration over how long it took to catch a glimpse of Jane Eyre and I am positive I won't be alone in this. The book had engaging parts and slow descriptive parts. This made me sense a lack of flow in my own enagagement on the whole.

Things I really liked about this book were unexpected, I truly enjoyed child and adolescent Edward Rochester. The idea of his life prior to anything we've ever had a snapshot of in JANE EYRE was totally engaging, showing a rather neglected boy, trying to find affection and fun. Some of the Jamaica story line engaged me and Bertha's mental demise was well written. I am disappointed by the last 30% that's focused on Jane and Edward's story. I don't feel that I learnt that much that's was new, despite having the opportunity to be in Edward's head. I did enjoy a rather unusual twist in this part though.

I am a huge fan of WIDE SARGASSO SEA by Jean Rhys so that's not to say I am opposed to someone writing an alternate to Edward Rochester's life. In fact, the Bertha part of MR ROCHESTER was well conceived and executed which is the focus of WIDE SARGASSO SEA. I just wanted more. I would definitely read Sarah Shoemaker again.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in return for a honest review.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...