Tuesday 6 March 2018

Marriage of Inconvenience by Penny Reid





REVIEWED BY
Micky Barnard 


Marriage of Inconvenience (Knitting in the City, #7)Marriage of Inconvenience by Penny Reid
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I feel a bit overwhelmed having to review this book, probably because the culmination of this book, the series even, has overwhelmed me, most wonderfully. I cannot believe it’s over but I couldn’t be more content, more satisfied and fuzzy with feelings. I have pages and pages of highlights on my kindle of fantastic narrative, dialogue and words that either hit me in the gut or exasperated my husband with the incessant snorting.

Dan and Kit-Kat were everything I hoped and dreamed of, considering I’ve been invested in these two since the first book. This is the ONLY series of interconnected characters where I have truly felt each one is better than the last, knowing they’re all actually as good as one another. This couple hit the whole pretend-marriage, slow-burn, friends-to-more themes with beautiful, bubbling chemistry. I lived for their dialogue, banter, awkwardness and heart in the words.

Dan was the epitome of a real, flawed but genuine guy, swoony and dashing all rolled in up a fine suit. His gutter mouth was just delightful to me and this was one of sources of hilarity for me.

“I swear, this woman. My heart was beating a million miles a minute. She clearly had no idea the kind of power she had over me. Or maybe she did, and this torture was on purpose.”

Kat had such character growth from awkward, cheese-loving, self-deprecating quietness to something ....well, I’ll leave you to read what becomes of Kat. Suffice it to say, I admired her hugely and I cheered her silently in my mind from start to finish. Her issues provided a great story both in relationship terms and general storyline too.

“Dan is cheese.”

The side characters were rich, Caleb, Eugene and Eleanor made this book and story so absorbing, in addition to the main characters. The knitting crew featured throughout and this made the story ‘whole’ to me, an underlining and finishing of the series where I felt as if I touched base with each couple. I AM CONTENT. The epilogue made me gush a few happy tears.

“As was my habit, I checked their hands for knitting needles and tequila bottles, which seemed to be their weapons of choice when faced with goons.

I must make note in my review of how mental illness was addressed in this book. Penny Reid dealt with this both knowledgeably and respectfully. I particularly appreciated the narrative regarding labelling of disease.

Penny Reid’s writing was as ever, intelligent, well researched, funny and yet easy to get lost in. This is one of my favourite all-time series and I admire her writing style and talent so much. Fan girl for life.

I voluntarily read an early copy of this book.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...