Friday 18 December 2015

Kyland by Mia Sheridan

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard


KylandKyland by Mia Sheridan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

This was totally engaging. I've been meaning to read Kyland but I'm one of these people that is often put off by hype, so I like to wait for it to die down. Kyland lived up to the hype I've heard. The backdrop to this story was excellent, Appalachian mountain folk as poor as you can imagine. What I loved about this is that Mia Sheridan doesn't conveniently make people rich or comfortable to mitigate reader's sensitivities. Kyland and Tenley are richer characters for being poor, appreciative of having warmth, food and on occasion, love.

These characters who had so little were also poor in terms of their family's love at times and their shared desire to study their way out of the town brought them to a grudging friendship. Tenley introduced Kyland to classic literature and I absolutely loved the importance of Jane Austen's Persuasion in this book, there were points that it gave me the chills it was so poignant.

I listened to Kyland on audio and if I have one criticism it's that the male narrator made Kyland a little over emotional and whiney at times. This is male narrator I have liked in other books, so I would just say it's this particular interpretation. However, this did not spoil the listen, I could move past those parts without problem. This was without doubt another Mia Sheridan triumph!

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...