Wednesday 16 December 2015

Shiloh by G.J. Walker-Smith


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Shiloh (Wishes, #6)Shiloh by G.J. Walker-Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

GJ Walker-Smith is a favourite contemporary author of mine and her latest book Shiloh is a bit of a departure from the Wishes series style. It's characters are more mature, the plot has suspense, it's a tad hotter than her previous books but it keeps all the elements that I rely on in a Walker-Smith book. The humour is en pointe, the writing flows beautifully and the characters have depth. I didn't just like it, I loved it.

Remember Mitchell, Charli's surfing buddy? Yeah, he's still catching waves and living in one of the beach huts in Africa. He has matured though. Fate throws Shiloh and Mitchell, these two Aussies together in Kiamte but the nature of Shiloh's work means she's living a lie. As their friendship grows, the lies become walls.

This book has vivid description that paints the scenes perfectly, many 'snicker' moments, but the things I love most about GJ Walker-Smith's writing are the poignant, punch-packing lines. I drew in breath over quite a number of them, reveled in the 'feels' and whilst it made me laugh numerous times, it also gave me heart ache.

"At that point I was only certain of one thing: I was going to get my heart broken, and because I could see it coming, it was my fault, not hers."

This book filled a missing bit that I've wanted ever since Mitchell was introduced in Saving Wishes and more so in Second Hearts. He's a wonderful main character and he stands equally alongside these great men that GJ writes. I know that Mitchell is physically attractive but its his soul I'm magnetised to. Shiloh is a strong, interesting woman, courageous but with hidden vulnerabilities that make her so believable. I want to be 'kick-arse' like Shiloh one day too.

This book can be read as a stand alone. There are a small number of references to past wishes series characters, however, if you've not read them, it won't leave you mystified.

This was a superb read and it reminds me that good quality literature isn't everyday, this one sparkles like the diamonds discussed within it's pages.

A copy of this book was provided by the author.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...