Wednesday 30 December 2015

Nicolas by Dianne Hartsock

REVIEWED BY Joanne Swinney

NicolasNicolas by Dianne Hartsock
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 STARS

I received a copy for a honest review.


Anyone that knows me will know, I always give an honest review. I have struggled to put into words about this book, I have just read. There is a reason, I don't download dark reads and this book definitely cemented my opinion to NEVER, EVER read another. I love M/M but now I know I don't like dark M/M.

First off, I have to say that this Author is a great writer, that was very clear to me while reading. The story although the darkest I have ever read was written well. I base this on the fact that I was drawn into this scary story. My heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty, I put the book down thinking, I am not going to continue, it's just to much for me but I continued through some horrific images that the Author placed in my mind. That's what I found disturbing. I'm a lover of romance, yes I like twists and turns in a book but to this degree, no thanks.

Jamie is staying in a secluded cabin after breaking up with his cheating partner. He is happy enough staying there until he starts having these strange dreams but are they really dreams. Some almost could be nightmares, it's hard to know what is reality and what is in the mind. It's all very twisted.

Jamie saves a man named, Nicolas from freezing to death. It's quite possibly the worst mistake he's ever made, depending on your point of view. At one point, I was happy for them both to build a friendship, then I thought, Oh God this is not going to turn out well.

Nicolas keeps remembering things and we, the readers share these thoughts, imagines that have happened. It's not only that these events that have taken place are horrendous but, I found them sickening. I guess I just don't have the stomach for reading such unpleasant things happening to children.

Nicolas's enemy, Krampus is beyond evil. He's despicable, appalling, nauseating, yeah I didn't like him one bit.
He's the man in your dreams and nightmares but he's also reality. How? honestly, I have no clue, I'm still baffled by this enigma.

I think Jamie is torn between helping Nicolas get rid of Krampus because the fear of dying is all to real but lust plays a big part in this story. Jamie longs for passion and both Nicolas and Krampus are aware of this.

I admit that this book was not for me as I have tried to explain without giving out spoilers BUT if you like dark reads and aren't affected by what events take place in a story then this book is for you. I only recommend to readers that like weird and frightening stories and of course the M/M genre.

Sleep well readers. I know I didn't.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...