Monday 7 December 2015

Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

This was a trip into classic YA territory. When YA is written well, it truly is my favourite genre. Pushing the limits fitted beautifully into my expectations. This is a book I've had on my kindle for a few years, I've been meaning to read it, I've heard lots of good things about it, but I'd built it up in my head. It did not disappoint and I am of course kicking myself for not reading this series sooner.

Here's what's good about this book. The characters Noah and Echo have great depth, their stories are slowly revealed. I had empathy for both of them even before the true nature of their circumstances was revealed. Echo has some mental health issues arising from a trauma she's experienced and whilst 'trauma' can be a common trope, Echo's story was unique and well executed. Noah was not a perfect character or good boyfriend material but he was utterly endearing, even when he acted with complete stupidity. These two together just worked.

What sets this book apart from other typical YA books was the innovative storyline and the family backgrounds. The story just grabs you. I'm delighted that I have many books to get my teeth into with this series and I plan to do just that. Highly recommended.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2KQ8PTNN4F1Y3/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...