Wednesday 11 November 2015

The Play by Karina Halle


REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

The Play (The Pact, #3)The Play by Karina Halle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book from the tough, emotion-provoking prologue, to the last sentence, on the last page. Lachlan and Kayla's story was much more than your average contemporary read. It was deep, emotional and steamy with such an engaging story. When I read the blurb, Scottish rugby player in San Fran, I just thought, sign me up but it far exceeded my expectations, even with the love I have for a number of Karina Halle's books.

Lachlan is a quiet hulk of a man, visiting his cousins in San Francisco whilst a tendon injury heals. Kayla notices him immediately and can't help be transfixed by him, his size, his looks, his silence. Kayla manages the impossible through an interview, she draws him out little by little, from monosyllabic to dialogue. Lachlan only has a few weeks before his return to his rugby team in Edinburgh and they slowly develop a connection. Kayla's inner dialogue and her quips during their early connection, made me laugh numerous times.

"I'm a smitten f*****g kitten. And I'm starting to think it's more than just in a physical way."

There is nothing cliche about this book, Lachlan's past and his and Kayla's relationship. This read felt fresh and real. This is the best of Karina Halle's contemporary books in my opinion. She has shown her talent in writing a book that packs the most emotional of punches but light and funny in other moments. The Play is now on my 'Favourites 2015' shelf and I am buying this to be signed by Karina Halle in Edinburgh next year, how wonderfully appropriate.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews



No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...