Wednesday 26 August 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

REVIEWED BY Micky Barnard

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There is absolutely nothing predictable about this book, the characters or the storyline. It was a complex weave of dystopian wonderful-ness. I had to concentrate every minute of this read, needing quiet to take in the strategy, particularly as the book progressed but I feel satisfied by the ride. The main characters Mare, Maven and Cal kept me on my toes. Mare is red, a kind of serving class with red blood. Maven and Cal are silver, royalty and silver-blooded. These three are brought together in an unusual tale of war, trust and betrayal. I thought I knew them, I really did, but I found myself taken aback, aghast and reeling. The last 25% was a twisty, on the edge, 'get me to the end so I can breathe' session that needs to be read to completion.

I read this book as part of a group read and I can honestly say the ability to de-brief in sections enhanced the enjoyment for me, particularly when shocks came. I would highly recommend this book for those who enjoy a dystopian/fantasy read but I would also encourage others to step out of their normal genre and give this a try. Victoria Aveyard certainly can write a complex story but her words are beautifully pitched. I look forward to the second book with expectation.

Reviewed for Jo&IsaLoveBooks Blog.

View all my reviews

https://www.amazon.com/review/R3HEJRIYXD8Y4B/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...