Monday 13 July 2015

Slaying Isidore's Dragons by C.Kennedy

REVIEWED BY Joanne Swinney

Slaying Isidore's DragonsSlaying Isidore's Dragons by C. Kennedy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I find myself struggling for the right words without using serious profanity. I want to express how spectacular this book was without using the F.. Bomb.
I could not comprehend that this book was fiction because unfortunately the ugliness that surrounds this story happens all over the world. Children, Adults suffering some form of abuse. I had a constant ache in my heart while reading, my stomach churned with the vile things that happened. It doesn't matter that the details were not graphic. When a writer tells a story as good as this, the story plays out images in my mind. We have all imagined what characters look like while reading and visualising scenes in our minds. Sometimes a story will affect you in ways that are hard to believe but you are pleased you continued to read. This book touched me deeply.
Have you ever been in love? the kind of love that with every bone in your body you want to protect them, never be apart. When hearing the darkness they have lived through makes you feel anger like you have never felt before.
Isidore is the most sweetest young man I have ever come across. He has a strength from deep within, even though he believes he is weak. He is living in a world where his abusers, yes plural, torture him beyond anything you can imagine. The circumstances surrounding Isidore is one I can only describe as horrific.
Not everyone has a saviour and for this I feel the greatest of sadness.
Declan goes to school with Isidore and wants to help him. They become very special friends. I prayed that Declan could keep Isidore safe.
When Isidore and Declan were together, I found myself smiling. You know there's no limits on love. No one can tell you who to love or who you should be with. Everyone has choices in life. You have to remember that even in your darkest days.
Isidore needed nothing short of a miracle to be free from his father and the torture he was going through. Declan's mother, Sorcha is wonderful woman with a wicked sense of humour, she brings laughter when it is most needed. Her witty one liners even had me laughing while reading. She loves both Declan and Isidore and does everything in her power to protect him. All their lives are in danger. You think to yourself when will all this be over. Isidore knows his dad will come for him one day and when that day comes he will not survive.
This is a very powerful story, lives are changed forever for almost a whole community. With violence of cruelty all around, the only thing I clung to was the love blossoming between two very smart and beautiful young men. Magical moments can be shared even when the world is crashing around you. Live each day like it's your last and be grateful to be alive. The only thing I believe Isidore ever hoped for was to be safe. No one should ever have to endure such a life. I hope that everyone reads this book and gives their views. I know I have struggled with mine. It's hard to not give spoilers out but still give you a review worthy of this book. I wrote a poem today thinking of Isidore.

Darkness all around, nowhere to hide, no one to care,
Fear installed so deep, living a life constantly being scared.
The pain is real, the scars you can see,
My life is nothing, They'll never let me be.

Coming from the darkness into the light,
The eyes of my saviour is an overwhelming sight.
I no longer need to feel weakness, I can be strong,
To hold my lover close all night long.

The light shines bright like the stars in the sky
Night fall no more a fear as we lie, In my dreams I can fly.
Where there was once so much hate now there is only love,
I prayed for a miracle, God sent me an angel from up above.

I will live to love and laugh, gracing my lover with a smile
No one can ever take this away from me,
my future is for me to find.
Through my journey I have grown, holding
onto my faith,
My dearest Declan will always keep me safe.

The only thing I have left to say is Author C. Kennedy you are 'dumb ill' to find out the meaning of this. Read this book. Thank you for sharing such a compelling story



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the wonderful review, Joanne. I love love love the poem! #Dumbill2gether

      Delete

Give Me a Reason (Redemption Hills, #1) by A.L. Jackson

  Give Me a Reason by A.L. Jackson My rating: 5 of 5 stars This BOOK deserves all the recognition and praises it has received. From that ...